WHAT IS GRIFFIN CONNECTIONS?
Hybrid learning program offered by the Los Alamitos Unified School District that offers graduation requirements courses (World History, US History, Government, Economics) for free to Los Alamitos High School students during the summer.
- Classes are offered through APEX Learning in an 80% online and 20% traditional classroom learning environment and meet A-G course requirements. (Advanced Placement courses are not offered.)
- Classes are designed for students who are self-motivated, independent learners who are capable of wisely managing their time to meet ongoing deadlines in a fast-paced learning environment.
- Courses include bi-weekly check-in points and the expectation of completing curriculum is scaffolded into demands that must be completed and turned in on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- The curricular demands of the courses will NOT allow students to rapidly complete a semester or leave the bulk of their work until the end of the course.
- Daily student commitment is 3-4 hours per day.
- Students who register for a Griffins Connections course MUST attend an APEX Course Readiness Module.
Tuesday, April 21 @ 6:50AM (LAHS Rm. 405) Friday, April 24 @ 2:40PM (LAHS Rm. 405)
Thursday, April 30 @ 4:30PM (LAHS Rm. 405) Monday, May 4 @ 6:50AM (LAHS Rm. 600)
Wednesday, May 6 @ 5:30PM (LAHS Rm. 600) Saturday, May 9 @ 9:00AM (LAHS Rm. 405)
Students should complete the Griffin Connections Course Self-Survey to help in determining if they are a good fit for a Griffins Connections Course.
Students commit to completing a full-year course in two, four-week semesters. Each semester has four MANDATORY in-classroom learning days which are four hours in length.
- Semester I: (June 1 – June 26) Mandatory classroom days are June 1-2 and June 25-26
- Semester II: (July 6 – July 31) Mandatory classroom days are July 13-14 and July 30-31
- Students will NOT receive credit for a semester if they miss more than one classroom day.