WHAT IS GRIFFIN CONNECTIONS?
Griffin Connections is a remote learning program offered by the Los Alamitos Unified School District that offers graduation requirements courses (World History, US History, Government, Economics) for free to Los Alamitos High School students during the summer.
- Classes are offered through APEX Learning in a 75% independent online learning and 25% Zoom classroom learning environment and meet A-G course requirements. (Advanced Placement courses are not offered.)
- Classes are designed for students who are self-motivated, independent learners who are capable of wisely managing their time to meet ongoing deadlines in a fast-paced learning environment.
- Courses include weekly check-in points and the expectation of completing curriculum is scaffolded into demands that must be completed and turned in on weekly assigned dates.
- The curricular demands of the courses will NOT allow students to rapidly complete a semester or leave the bulk of their work until the end of the course.
- Daily student commitment is 3-4 hours per day.
- Students who register for a Griffins Connections course MUST attend ONE APEX Course Readiness Module. The Google Meet link will be shared out to students that complete an intent to attend Griffin Connections.
Tuesday, April 12 @ 6:50AM Friday, April 15 @ 3:45PM
Monday, April 25 @ 4:30PM Wednesday, April 27 @ 5:30PM
Friday, April 29 @ 6:50AM Saturday, April 30 @ 9:00AM
Students should complete the Griffin Connections Course Self-Survey to help in determining if they are a good fit for a Griffins Connections Course.
Students commit to completing a full-year course (both semesters) in two, three-week semesters. Requirements include attending one in-person classroom day and two Zoom sessions for semester I, and three Zoom sessions for Semester II.
Note: Students will NOT receive credit for a semester if they miss more than one day of classroom learning. Office hours could be used to make-up the seat time for one absence.
- Semester I: (June 13 – July 1)
- Mandatory In-person Classroom Day: June 13
- Mandatory Zoom Classroom Days: June 21 & June 28
- Semester II: (July 11 – July 29)
- Mandatory Zoom Classroom Days: July 12, July 19, & July 26
- Live Zoom Class Meeting Days are 2 hours in length.
ADDTIONAL INFORMATION & STEPS FOR REGISTRATION
1. Student completes Griffin Connection Self-Survey and reviews results with parent/guardian.
2. Student and parent/guardian complete the Summer 2022 Course Intent Form and turn it into the LAHS Front Office OR email it to LAHS_Academics@losal.org by Friday, March 4th.
Based on student demand of courses it will be determined if a student lottery is required. Lottery will be a random selection of students who turned in Summer 2022 Course Intent Form by March 4th.
3. Students will be notified of registration status by March 11th.
4. Registration packets will be available for students who secure a seat, and will be due by March 18th. Students who don’t return registration packets by March 18th will lose their seat in the class.