NCAA Clearing House Information
According to the “NCAA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete,” in answer to the question, “When should I register?” you should apply for certification after your junior year in high school if you are sure that you wish to participate in intercollegiate athletics as a freshman of a Division I or II institution. To register, go to: http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net/ and click on “Prospective Student Athletes.” Follow the directions completely and return “Copy 1” and “Copy 2” of the “Transcript Release Authorization” to the LAHS Records Office. Our school code is 051508.
CIF Eligibility Information
Los Alamitos High School is a member of the C.I.F. Southern Section, Sunset League. To be eligible to participate in C.I.F. athletics, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Before a student can participate in a sport, he/she must have a clearance from the athletic director stating the student athlete has a physical exam, health insurance, parent consent form, and has signed the Code of Conduct form. (CIF Rule 306)
- Athletes must have passed a minimum of 20 units during the previous semester grading period. Only 5 units can be in physical education. (CIF Rule 204)
- Have proper district residency or be attending on a valid Inter-district permit.
- Have proper insurance.
- Be currently enrolled in classes worth 20 credits, only 5 of which may be from Physical Education.
- Be under 19 years of age as of June 15th of a student's junior (or third) year
- Refer to the 2.0 Rule below.
The 2.0 Rule - Any student participating in extra- or co-curricular activities must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above each semester. If the student falls below a 2.0 for a semester, s/he is given probationary status. If the student again falls below a 2.0 for another semester during his/her high school career, s/he will be ineligible to participate until a 2.0 semester GPA is achieved at a semester grading period.
Any questions or details regarding Athletics should be directed to the Assistant Principal of Athletics, at extension 82252.