Students are expected to dress in an appropriate fashion that does not interfere with or distract from the educational process. Clothing should be clean, in good repair, and worn in an appropriate manner. Footwear is required at all times and should be safe for the school environment. All shoes must have a hard sole and certain classes may require that students wear hard-toed shoes.
These expectations have been established to promote a productive learning environment free of distractions or disruptions, a safe and healthy school environment free of drugs and weapons, and a proactive direction away from gangs.
Students may not wear:
1. Clothing that is disruptive to the educational process which includes but is not limited to the following:
- tight or revealing clothes
- all tops must have straps
- clothes which allow undergarments to be exposed (see-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath)
- swimsuit or underwear-style clothing
- pajamas or other inappropriate dress
- sunglasses must be removed prior to entering a classroom
2. Clothing, accessories, or tattoos that contain or display symbols or slogans which are degrading to and which include but are not limited to the following:
- ethnic values
3. Clothing, accessories, or tattoos that refer to or glorify the following and which include but are not limited to the following:
- illegal activities
4. Clothing, accessories, or tattoos that are associated with or have a known gang relationship and/or endanger student/staff safety, which include but are not limited to the following:
- hats or items of clothing that are not of a commercial nature or have been altered or added to (i.e., personal names, nicknames, aliases, etc.) LAHS clothing is an exception
- any combination of apparel deemed gang related as concluded by law enforcement agencies, i.e., pants or shorts with socks pulled above the bottom of the pants/shorts
- spiked or potentially dangerous jewelry, accessories, i.e., large rings, studded leather wristbands, etc.
- bandannas worn or hanging from clothes
- pants that do not stay up without a belt (pants must fit at the waist without alterations and be worn above the buttocks)
- jewelry or accessories with gang symbols
- trench coats
Note: The above list is used as a guide. Other dress styles or items of clothing, etc., may be added as styles change.
Dress Expectation Consequences: 1st Violation - Warning
2nd Violation - 25 minute detention
3rd Violation - Saturday School
4th Violation - Repeat violators are suspended